Re: strict German

From: Bernhard Reiter <bernhard_at_intevation.de_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2000 19:48:50 +0200

On Sun, Oct 01, 2000 at 03:56:27PM +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:
> I object about this change.

:)

> Thread -> Themenstrang
> Mail -> Epost
>
> Nobody except the Sprachbewahrer-list will understand that.

This is just not true.
Most German hackers know the terms anyway, but if you have German speaking people which do not speak English I guess that "Themenstrang" is understood a lot better.

One alternative is "Thema".

"Handlungsstrang" and "Diskussionsfaden" are definatly German words, though they do sound strange to someone you hacks and uses the other ones for years... (like me).

"Epost" is more German than "Mail". But you could argu that "mail" is already widespread. Anyway it only appears in the stdout message when running hypermail. Otherwise Joey has translated it with "Nachricht" which is good.

> Please don't apply it without furthor check.

Please make another suggestion then, Joey. "Subject" and "Thread" are definetly no wide spread German words.

        Bernhard

The FreeGIS Project				            (freegis.org)