RE: [hypermail] Suggested TODO: <pre> line wrapping

From: Tom von Alten <tom_vonalten_at_boi.hp.com_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 11:10:06 -0800

On Fri, 12 Jan 2001, Crispen, Bob wrote:
> I suggest we add a 'word wrap column' for pages that generated with
> 'showhtml = Off'. As soon as a word crosses the specified column, we
> enter a newline tag before that word.

Are you sure we want to do this? I don't like horizontal scrolling either, but there is often good reason for having long lines - such as quoting long URLs. Arbitrarily wrapping things to a given line length is not necessarily an enhancement.

Dealing properly with MIME-encoded "soft" returns in text would probably be a good thing, but simply deciding that lines should be XX characters or shorter probably would not.

_____________ Hewlett-Packard Personal Storage Business Tom von Alten mailto:Tom_vonAlten_at_boi.hp.com

          This posting is for informational purposes only.
          It is not a statement of the Hewlett-Packard Co.