Re: [hypermail] options.h where are you?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 13:46:20 +0100 (MET)

On Fri, 19 Jan 2001, Ron Pero wrote:

> Problem: option.h is not in my distribution (hypermail-2b30). config.h is
> there.

option.h is history and can safely be forgotten.

> The reason I need to do this -- and this is a good reason to make the
> command line options override the config file -- is that we will deal
> with multiple lists on the server. When a message comes to a list (these
> are low volume), the sendmail alias file will invoke a perl script with a
> "-m specific_mailbox" option. The label, list address, and other values,
> will need to be different for each list. But since the config file
> overrides the command line options, only one label and list address can
> be used.

So, use many config files or don't set the labels in the config files and use -l instead.

> Or am I missing something?

Yes. The config file *doesn't* override command line options. Some docs may claim so, but that is not the truth.

> (Have thought about not using a config file at all, but I do believe I
> need to customize it in some ways. Or if I comment out the variable in
> the config file, it will not override the variable in the command line.
> Correct?)

If it isn't used in the config file, it won't be touched no. Command line options are parsed and dealt with *after* the config file is parsed so you can have stuff specified in the config file and then override them with the command line options.

(Note: there are three options that are parsed before the config file, and they are -c that allows you to specify what config file to read, -v that enables "verbose" config output and -V that displays hypermail version.)

--
      Daniel Stenberg - http://daniel.haxx.se - +46-705-44 31 77