Re: [hypermail] Odd behaviour of the subject line

From: virtanen <hvirtane_at_cc.jyu.fi_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 18:41:52 +0200 (EET)

On Tue, 6 Mar 2001, Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> > Subject: Re: =?iso-8859-1?Q?T=94m=94?= on
> > =?iso-8859-1?Q?=94=94kk=96stesti?= ( =?iso-8859-1?Q?=9F=F7?= ) kommentti
> >
> > The subject line in the message above should be:
> >
> > 'Re: Tämä on ääkköstesti kommentti'

> So then appearantly someone adds those parentheses. As has been shown before,
> hypermail doesn't. Then how is this a hypermail issue?

OK.

If those parenthesis appearing as shown above is an indicator that the problem isn't with 'hypermail' we are one step further.

Good.

> If the web page doesn't show the parentheses but they appear in the subject
> line when he clicks on the reply-link and mails you, then yes, his email
> program or browser (or both) is stupid.

OK.
In my opinion his email program is just the other way around trying to be too clever :=).

> This has nothing to do with "character encoding". Inserting parentheses don't
> change encoding. It just changes the actual text.

OK
Good.
We'll try to find out the problem with his e-mail program or with the web browser.

hvirtane_at_cc.jyu.fi Received on Tue 06 Mar 2001 06:45:30 PM GMT