[hypermail] CVS write access?

From: Jose Kahan <jose.kahan_at_w3.org_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 17:46:40 +0200

Hello Kent,

I have some free time available for working on hypermail now. I wanted to try to fix an invalid HTML generation problem, maybe help convert to XHTML, and add some simple WAI and CSS features. These are things I could eventually commit.

I also want to see if I find an alternate algorithm for naming files so that they don't grow up sequentially. Sometimes when rebuilding an archive, if you have deleted or skipped a message, all the URLs change and it would be nice to avoid this dependency.

My current idea is to use some kind of MD5 hash of the msgid with the received date to name the files. Collision risk should be small (I hope!). I think I'll also need to store in a dbm file some relationship between the filename and the number we were using before, so that we can search it easily. This is not yet very clear, because I am just starting work on it.

As usual, I won't commit things until I am sure of the change and I will announce it for approval to the list.

I tried my old hypermail CVS access and not surprisingly it doesn't work anymore. I would like to have a write access again as it would simplify my work when I have to make a commit (rather than having two parallel bases).

I hope this is OK with you.

I am CC'ing the list so that they are aware of my plans.

Best regards,

-jose Received on Tue 14 Aug 2001 05:52:38 PM GMT