Re: [hypermail] CVS write access?

From: Peter C. McCluskey <pcm_at_rahul.net_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 13:50:30 -0700 (PDT)

 daniel_at_haxx.se (Daniel Stenberg) writes:
>On Tue, 14 Aug 2001, Jose Kahan wrote:
>> My current idea is to use some kind of MD5 hash of the msgid with the
>> received date to name the files. Collision risk should be small (I
>> hope!).
>
>Would be minimal, but won't the file names get annoyingly long and weirdly
>named?

 I expect keeping the numeric filenames but allowing gaps in the sequence to develop will produce nicer results.

>> I think I'll also need to store in a dbm file some relationship between
>> the filename and the number we were using before, so that we can search
>> it easily. This is not yet very clear, because I am just starting work on
>> it.
>
>The numbers also serve a purpose when reading an existing HTML archive.
>Hypermail can easily just read all HTML files, as it knows their names all
>the way until there are no more files.

  If that can be done easily with the folder_by_date option, I'd be interested in knowing how you would do it. Iterate through all dates since 1970 to generate all possible subdirs? I'm sure it can be done well, but I doubt whether it's worth the effort.
 But that shouldn't be very relevant to Jose's plans, as hypermail can currently either read all html files or find the necessary data in the gdbm file.

Peter McCluskey | Free Dmitry Sklyarov! http://www.freesklyarov.org/ http://www.rahul.net/pcm | Received on Wed 15 Aug 2001 10:54:48 PM GMT