Re: [hypermail] Incremental indexing

From: Bill Moseley <moseley_at_hank.org_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 17:13:01 -0800

At 04:21 PM 12/26/01 -0800, Peter C. McCluskey wrote:

>>>hypermail -c hmrc -p -m 200109
>>>hypermail -c hmrc -p -m 200110
>>>hypermail -c hmrc -p -m 200111
>>>hypermail -c hmrc -p -m 200112
>>
>>>From man hypermail:
>>
>> Note: If the mailbox that is being read from is an archive
>> that new messages are always being added to, don't use the
>> -u or -x options. Hypermail will then read in all the
>> messages given it but will only write new messages that
>> have been appended to the mailbox.
>
> I guess the word "archive" there is misleading - it means a single file.
>When using multiple files like you are trying to do, you should use
>the -u option. But you can't add new messages to file 200112 and then
>send that file to hypermail again. You need to either send hypermail
>new messages only, or a file with all the messages.

Hi Peter,

Hum. That's confusing. Indeed, this works:

hypermail -c hmrc -p -m 200109
hypermail -c hmrc -p -m 200110 -u
hypermail -c hmrc -p -m 200111 -u
hypermail -c hmrc -p -m 200112 -u

But, look at what -u says in the man page:

       -u     This updates archives by one  message  only.   With
              this option, only one email message will be read in
              from a file or standard input.  This  message  will
              be  added  to  the  end  of  the existing HTML file
              archive and will be integrated into it by links and
              cross-references.   All archive index files will be
              regenerated to include the new message.

"one message only", it says. That sounds like it's expecting to read only one message either from stdin or from the file specified.

It's confusing, really, as I'd expect two modes: either create a new archive or add to an existing archive. And input either from stdin or from a file(s), and the input can be one (or zero, really) or more messages.

So haveing both -x and -u are confusing to me as it seems like you only need one switch ( create or update ).

I assume there's a reason for both -x and -u, but I'm missing it.

Thanks,

Bill Moseley
mailto:moseley_at_hank.org Received on Thu 27 Dec 2001 03:17:24 AM GMT