(unknown charset) Re: [hypermail] Feature request: suppression of message ID's

From: (unknown charset) Peter C. McCluskey <pcm_at_rahul.net_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 10:38:10 -0700 (PDT)

 balazs_at_tud.at (=?iso-8859-1?Q?Bal=E1zs_B=E1r=E1ny?=) writes:
>The question is, are message IDs of any use in the generated HTML documents?
>Are they ever read again by HyperMail or any other tool? If not, and as they

 They are used by hypermail for threading if you use the incremental update mode and do not use gdbm, or if you use hypetombox.pl to recreate the mbox from the html files. But I've fixed both of those to handle the obfuscated ids.
 Probably some people have written other parsers which use the ids. I don't have an easy way of telling how widely they are used or whether it would be hard for users to detect and fix the problems associated with obfuscating the ids.

Peter McCluskey          | Free Jon Johansen!
http://www.rahul.net/pcm |