Re: [hypermail] Does anyone use mail.c

From: kent landfield <kent_at_hypermail.org_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 12:22:29 -0600 (CST)

Peter C. McCluskey writes:

> >Hypermail has had a utility name mail that is installed in the cgi-bin
> >directory since the beginning. I personally do not use it due to the
> >issues listed below. I am not sure why it is still in the baseline.
>
> My reasons for not removing it when I became aware of those issues and
> added the warnings are:

> a) the probable absence of people who will say "I'm using it" in response
> to a message on this list won't tell us much about whether there are people
> using it, since a large fraction of Hypermail users probably ignore this list.

Good point. But we could

> b) there's a slight chance that there are people using it who would install
> the disabled version if it's built by default, but if it's not built would
> continue using the old version without realizing the risks.

Another good point... But, currently it is not installed. I didn't change that so I'm not sure how long it has been that way. I did check in the hypermail-2.0.0 version and it was not installed then. In this case, people are not using anywhere near the current version today. That was one of the reasons I considered removing it entirely.

We could add a section to the 'make install' that ran a script that checked to see if the old 'cgi-bin/mail' program exists and warn the user of the problems... Just a thought...

--
Kent Landfield             |  HYPERMAIL: http://www.hypermail.org/
Email: kent_at_hypermail.org  |  RFCS: http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/