Re: [hypermail] dir option weirdness

From: kent landfield <kent_at_hypermail.org_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 12:22:26 -0500 (CDT)

Arkadiusz Miskiewicz writes:
> You can easily emulate current behaviour by just using date:
> hypermail -d /some/path/`date +%y/%b`/
> You can't do that if you want to use Date/Received - that's why IMO
> using Date/Received field is better (even if these headers are not
> trusted).

This is extremely costly on high traffic lists and defeats the configuration purposes. I'd like to see a switch (TRUST_HEADERS maybe) that would tell it to use the Received headers instead of the system date.

> > As for creating a "web archive using a quite old mbox archive..."
> > I do it all the time with no problem. I have separate mboxes for
> > the individual period, in my case by month and I use the script
> > below to regenerate the entire archive or any section of it at will.
> Merge these all mailboxes into big one and then try to do it.
> How to split that easily? In my case I have one big archive in which
> messages aren't even sorted by date - they are mixed up.

That was how I started. Using Elm, I read the mailbox with a couple years of messages. Elm sorted them by date for me and then I saved them off by month. It was done just once and from them on I stored them by month. It worked for me. ;)

--
Kent Landfield             |  HYPERMAIL: http://www.hypermail.org/
Email: kent_at_hypermail.org  |  RFCS: http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/