[hypermail] A rather odd mbox file

From: Rev. Bob 'Bob' Crispen <revbob_at_crispen.org_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 19:37:54 -0500

I'm having qmail pipe into hypermail as a stream, and it works very nicely except for one thing. The mbox file that I have hypermail create is completely bereft of "From " lines, though it more than makes up for it with its generous supply of "Received: " lines. ;-)

This doesn't seem to be the case with any other mbox file I've ever seen, and I was wondering if anybody else has noticed this. It has the customary "From: " and "Date: " lines, from which hypetombox.pl can reconstruct a proper "From " line, and you can see an example yourself at <http://www.crispen.org/model-rr/archive/mbox>.

I've observed from some experiments that hypermail isn't to blame. Sending to the appropriate address when ~/.qmail-test contains simply "|cat >foo" produces an mbox without a "From " line. So hypermail simply passes on what qmail gave it.

The reason I bring this up is, an mbox file without a "From " line is pretty well useless for reconstructing a hypermail archive. I'm wondering what the best approach might be for this:

(a) to chalk it up as an odd configuration of qmail, and forget the
whole thing,

(b) to make hypermail work with a "From: " line as well as a "From "
line, or

(c) to find a little piece of perl or something lying around that can
restore a "From " line to a message.

I regret to report that I'm old enough on this list that I remember when
(b) was under discussion (and perhaps even claimed to work -- it doesn't
now, and I'm doubtful if it ever did.

Before getting the latest out of CVS and plunging in up to my elbows, I figured a couple of minutes thought might be in order. Any suggestions?

--
Rev. Bob "Bob" Crispen
bob at crispen dot org

"Novell has done us a tremendous service, by stomping upon an
obnoxious parasite." - Bruce Perens