[hypermail] _at_ translation bug and fix / some behavior change

From: Jose Kahan <jose.kahan_at_w3.org_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 17:52:13 +0200

Hi,

_at_ translations bug fix

Some time ago, we had a contribution to change the '_at_' sign into its equivalent SGML entity, to minimize the effect of dumb bots.

We noticed that a side-effect was that the mailcommand stopped working on all the headers, except for the To: one.

The problem is that the '_at_' was being translated too early and that it wasn't taken into account when searching the mail for things that may be converted into mailto:. I just commited a patch to fix this.

Some behavior change that I noticed:

The mailcommand was being specified using an HTML markup. That is, the whole text was to be inserted without further conversions. So, if I had a '<' char, I had to use a &lt; entity instead. However, this doesn't work this way anymore. If you insist, there'll be a double convertion and the entity will be recoded wrongly as &amp;lt;.

I don't know if this is a willing change or a side effect from the WAI convertion. In all cases, you need to remove the entities in your mailcommand definition if you want it to work.

I'm not sure if we should fix this or leave it as it is. As I said before, I don't know if this was a willing change.

-jose