Re: [hypermail] NEwbie - Win 2000 questions

From: Rev. Bob 'Bob' Crispen <revbob_at_crispen.org_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 18:53:41 -0600

aruL maaran said on Wednesday, December 24, 2003 at 8:32:06 AM:

> 1. http://www.hypermail.org/win32.html is too complicated
> for me

I agree. Fortunately, it doesn't apply any more. I keep asking Kent to take down that page (and to put up a page I've made about attaching a search engine to hypermail -- it's in the CVS tree: archive_search.html ;^). Anyhow, that's ancient history. Cygwin has gotten so close to vanilla *ix that if you install Cygwin and the compiler tools, all you need to do is:

       ./configure
       make

> do any of you know of a Win32 port for Hypermail ? which
> will run straight off a win 2000 machine ?

Email me with the address you want me to send it to, and I'll build you one. The principal reason we don't do binary distributions is that somebody has to build them, and afaik, I'm the only person on the team who's ever been interested in using hypermail on a Windows platform, so that somebody would automatically be me.

I'd much rather handle requests one by one.

Btw, I'm not entirely sure what you're doing, but I have an archive at <http://model-rr.crispen.org/archive/> that sounds something like what you want to do. Whenever I get an email from a Yahoo group or read a USENET posting that I want to save, I forward it to an email address at my domain host, and the message magically goes into a hypermail archive.

I need to mention that the critical step is getting mail from the inbox to a pipe, where it can then head off to hypermail. Until I got my present domain host, I had no way to do that critical step. Fortunately, my present domain host (phpwebhosting.com) uses qmail, which provides that little extra bit of glue that makes it all work.

I've played around at home, saving messages into a mailbox and then running it off-line through hypermail (which also sounds like what you're talking about). It works, but it isn't nearly as convenient as what I've got set up on my ISP. I've always had the suspicion that if I could read German a little better, I'd be able to figure out how to do it in hamster on my Windows box.

--
Rev. Bob "Bob" Crispen
bob at crispen dot org

What we're looking for: destinations.
What we end up getting: journeys.
And the prize?
You'll keep that on your shelf as a souvenir of the trip.