Re: Hypermail - PushByte function is slow!!!

From: Peter C.McCluskey <pcm_at_rahul.net_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 09:22:29 -0800 (PST)

 naudefj_at_telkomsa.net (Frank Naude) writes:
>Hi,
>
>I've recompiled hypermail with profiling (added -pg to CFLAGS) to
>identify slow functions. It looks like the PushByte() function is the
>most expensive function in the entire program. What is this function's
>purpose, and what can be done to speed it up?

 It does memory allocation for strings. It could probably be speeded up by allocating more memory at a time, at the cost of increased complexity and/or increased memory use.

Peter McCluskey          | I see no greater impediment to scientific progress
http://www.rahul.net/pcm | than the prevailing practice of focusing all of