Re: hypermail encoding problems

From: Daigo Matsubara <daigo_at_w3.org_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 12:51:19 +0900

At Thu, 28 Jul 2005 11:15:02 +0200,
Mike FABIAN wrote:

> "Peter C. McCluskey" <pcm_at_rahul.net> さんは書きました:
>
> > mfabian_at_suse.de (Mike FABIAN) writes:
> >>I think the best fix is to improve hypermail to convert all the output
> >>to UTF-8 *always*. That is the only possibility to get a single target
> >>encoding for index.html, date.html, etc. even if many different
> >>encodings are used in the subjects of the original mails.
> >>
> >>Are there any plans to add such support for UTF-8 to hypermail in the
> >>near future?
> >
> > I suspect you are right about what should be done.
> >
> > Daigo Matsubara <daigo_at_w3.org> has reportedly made some changes to
> > support UTF-8 which haven't been checked in yet. If he isn't addressing
> > the problem you mention, then it's unlikely that anyone has plans to
> > (in which case I would encourage you to submit a patch).
>
> Matsubara San,
>
> does your patch address the problem? If not I'll try to make a patch.

Hi Mike,

I had implemented roughly, it is working on my testbed.

My strategy is:

  1. convert every headers to UTF-8 at first. I modified mdecodeRFC2047() to do it.
  2. call print_main_header() with UTF-8 charset, then Hypermail outputs indexes in UTF-8.
  3. in each message, each references (subjects of other messages in thread) are encoded in numeric reference. message body is not converted to UTF-8.

I'm still considering about 3). I was suggested by I18N experts to make everything in UTF-8, but I'm wondering about that because we still have a lot of software which is not UTF-8 friendly.

But, at least, it solves encoding issue you mentioned, I think.

I'm trying to show my code ASAP to have review. Ideas/thoughts are welcome.

Thanks,

--
Daigo Matsubara / W3C Systems Team / mailto:daigo_at_w3.org