Re: hypermail encoding problems(B

From: Mike FABIAN(B <mfabian_at_suse.de_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 11:55:30 +0200

"D. Dilev" <unionddd_at_abv.bg> $B$5$s$O=q$-$^$7$?(B:

> I'm running small mailimg list archieve through hypermail. Most of
> the members here are using web based mails with encoding - cyrillic
> (windows-1251).

If they are all using windows-1251, it works already for you because hypermail doesn't do any conversion.

A problem occurs only if not all mails use the same encoding.

> My modest opinion is that the best way would be to choose the
> default encoding for all mails (not only UTF 8) through
> configuration file. In my case for example I would choose cyrillic
> (windows-1251).

You cannot control what encoding the users sending the mails use. Some of your users could send their mails in UTF-8. As long as it still contains only Bulgarian, you could convert it to windows-1251. But it some other special characters area contained, the conversion would fail. Therefore an option to convert everything to windows-1251 (or any non-Unicode encoding) doesn't really make sense. Converting to Unicode is the only conversion which will always work.

I think it is enough to have a option in the configuration file like

   convert_everything_to_utf8 = on

and if you set this to "off" you revert to the current behavior.

--
Mike FABIAN   <mfabian_at_suse.de>   http://www.suse.de/~mfabian
$B?gL2ITB-$O$$$$;E;v$NE($_at_!#(B