Re: MAILCOMMAND

From: Peter C. McCluskey <pcm_at_rahul.net_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 11:58:37 -0700

Damien Sullivan uses the mail program in http://mars2.caltech.edu/polymath/. Here's excerpts from some mail we exchanged:

From: "Peter C. McCluskey" <pcm_at_rahul.net> To: phoenix_at_ugcs.caltech.edu (Damien R. Sullivan)

 Hypermail's mail program? I'd forgotten about that! I just took a quick glance at it. Yuck. Composing mail through a browser is no substitute for emacs.
 We have just decided that we want to add a feature which should accomplish what you want (we're still thinking about the details). We're going to add something that emails the web page to you as if the mailing list were resending it, so that you can use your normal mail software to reply to it, and extend it to do something similar on any web page so that you can use mail software to annotate any web page (CritLink's existing comment form isn't very good for large comments).
[see http://crit.org/http://crit.org/~pcm/other_writers.html%ffcritreply#M1-target and http://crit.org/critmail/crit-tech/0004.html for updates on this.]

From: phoenix_at_ugcs.caltech.edu (Damien R. Sullivan) To: "Peter C. McCluskey" <pcm_at_rahul.net> Subject: Re: Critmail
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 14:18:18 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 2, 1:54pm, "Peter C. McCluskey" wrote:

> Hypermail's mail program? I'd forgotten about that! I just took
> a quick glance at it. Yuck. Composing mail through a browser is no
> substitute for emacs.

No, (s/emacs/mush+vi/) but sometime web posting is useful. People can browse an archive and post responses, without being on the mailing list. True, they could just e-mail to it, but I have occasion to deal with the lowest common denominator.

In addition to making the "Post" option flexible instead of hard-wired, I'd also planned on being able to have a message e-mailed to you, which seems to be what you mentioned next. I was happy to find that sendmail will let message-id be pre-provided; that makes lots of things simpler. I'd have done it already, except I'm not so familiar with forms as to automatically see how to get the message data back out.