Re: Nightly Archiving

From: Paradise Cowgirl <minerva_at_phix.com_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 14:48:55 -0700 (PDT)

> Charles Hall (chall_at_totalsports.net)
> Thu, 25 Jun 1998 10:21:55 -0400

> Hello,
>
> Can someone tell me if I'm doing this the hard way? I want to archive
> mail nightly, rather than throughout the day. The output directory
> contains an entire month of email.

Well, I thought this should be possible. If "overwrite" is set to 0 in the config file then I would assume that when you archive the next day's mailbox into the same directory, that hypermail would:

  1. add new html files, with the "numbering" starting where the previous day left off
  2. update the various TOC pages correctly (index.html, date.html, etc)

However, this is not the case.

If the directory started off with with 20 messages and you archive a second mailbox to it (say with 15 messages), hypermail overwrites 15 of the original files with the new messages, leaves behind five of the original 20 and the TOC pages only reflect the 15 messages from the second mailbox.

I'm not sure if this is the intended behaviour or not.

Cheers,
-Darci

--
information is not knowledge. knowledge is not
wisdom.  wisdom is not truth.  truth is not beauty.