RE: "," and some another characters on message body

From: Daniel Stenberg <Daniel.Stenberg_at_sth.frontec.se_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 08:46:49 +0200 (MET DST)

On Thu, 15 Oct 1998, Tom von Alten wrote:

> Don't the MIME RFCs describe some behavior like noting that the message
> has an unknown character set?

I have not yet seen any MIME mail with an uknown character set. Mailers do fill in the charset name of the charset used to create the mail. That charset may although very well be unknown to the receiver (even if it is identifyable by name).

I've just found RFC2070, "Internationalization of the Hypertext Markup Language", which I intend to read and I hope I'll get some more clues out of that! Perhaps a few others could too and help solving this issue.

> Seems like putting an announcement about the character set at the top of
> the (displayed) file, and then refusing to decode quoted-printable might
> be the way to go.

I don't think QP (or any other encoding) will be a problem if we just solve the general charset problem first.

--
             Daniel Stenberg - http://www.fts.frontec.se/~dast