Re: bin* files from hypermail.

From: Daniel Stenberg <Daniel.Stenberg_at_sth.frontec.se_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 08:00:50 +0100 (MET)

On Wed, 28 Oct 1998, Robert J. Lebowitz wrote:

> We recently discovered that our harddisk was filling up rapidly due to
> the presence of large numbers of files in the hypermail archive directory
> on our machine. I noted that there are a number of files whose names
> begin with binxxxxx .... are those actually required for hypermail to
> work, or is this some artifact of a bug?

Hypermail automatically extracts and saves attachments used in the mails it parses. In some of the earlier beta versions, hypermail did not properly use the included file name but instead generated a random name, prefixed with 'bin' to save the file as. Newer versions only use that random name if they can't find any filename.

I.e hypermail doesn't need them, it makes them.

--
   Daniel Stenberg    http://www.fts.frontec.se/~dast     0708-317742