RE: Options parseing and append vs. overwrite

From: Tom von Alten <Tom_vonAlten_at_boi.hp.com_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 17:11:57 -0700

This actually has mostly to do with options parsing, and 2b12.

I'm setting up an archive on a fresh hp-ux 10.20 system, with 2b12.

Either my expectation is wrong, or the code is wrong, but I expect that if I give a sequence of options such as:
  -c /path/.hmrc -d /path/archive_dir

then the -d option should override whatever is in the .hmrc or program defaults. Yes?

In fact, with hm_dir=xyz (in .hmrc) and -d /path/abc (on the cmd line) it seems that the -d option is ignored and 'xyz' used.

Commenting out (I *think* that's what a leading '#' does in .hmrc) the hm_dir assignment changes it to 'archive' - that is, a default value. The -d option is *still* being ignored!

There is something very strange going on with configuration setting process, and I'm confused about it. (Of course, it started when deleting the spaces around the '=' caused the indexes to stop getting clobbered...)

_____________ Hewlett-Packard Computer Peripherals Bristol Tom von Alten mailto:Tom_vonAlten_at_boi.hp.com Received on Sat 05 Dec 1998 02:17:57 AM GMT