MIME and hypermail1a15-pl0 (from CVS)

From: Craig A Summerhill <craig_at_cni.org_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 05:22:31 -0500 (EST)

Daniel et al.,

I am really pleased to say that the version of 2a15-pl0 I pulled down from the CVS server this evening has good fixes for all the things I sent in earlier. Thanks for the work to clean it up!

Anyway, I decided to get a little more serious about doing some systematic testing of hypermail2a15 for MIME. I went through some old mbox files (transaction logs from our ListProcessor) I have around here and selected MIME messages to test. I tried to pull one example of every kind of MIME encoded message I could find into a test mbox, and I punched that one through hypermail...

Then I went through the HTML output one by one.

I have a half dozen or so other examples of odd or peculiar behavior from hypermail vis a vis MIME encoded messages. Most of these are probably duplicates of the same problem coming from different mail transport agents or mail user agents. Here is a summary, and URLs where you can take a look at the TEXT and HTML.

[1]

Foreach file (0012 0013 0017 0024) in

   ftp://ftp.cni.org/members/hypermail/XXXX.txt
   http://www.cni.org/hm2a15/XXXX.html
   http://www.cni.org/hm2a15/XXXX.txt

The text contain this MIME Content-Type definition:

        boundary="visible_string"

and each part has a Content-Type: of its own.

These are multi-part messages. Each part is ASCII, but the parts are being stored as bin files.

[2]

Foreach file (0016 0020) in

   ftp://ftp.cni.org/members/hypermail/XXXX.txt
   http://www.cni.org/hm2a15/XXXX.html
   http://www.cni.org/hm2a15/XXXX.txt

The text contains this MIME Content-Type defintion:

     BOUNDARY="Boundary_(ID_tPuBHZMAeco8CU8/LlpPVA)"; REPORT-TYPE=DELIVERY-STATUS

This is pretty much a variation on the one above.

[3]

Foreach file (0042) in

   ftp://ftp.cni.org/members/hypermail/XXXX.txt
   http://www.cni.org/hm2a15/XXXX.html
   http://www.cni.org/hm2a15/XXXX.txt

The text contains this MIME Content-Type defintion:

If you look at the HTML markup of this message, you can see that hypermail didn't correctly handle the "quoted-printable" encoding. The '=' stuff (e.g. =09 for a tab, the =20 for paragraph marker, '=<NL>' for continuation of line, etc.) should be removed when hypermail marks up the message, shouldn't it?

That's it for now...

--

   Craig A. Summerhill, Systems Coordinator and Program Officer
   Coalition for Networked Information