Re: character set question

From: Daniel Stenberg <Daniel.Stenberg_at_sth.frontec.se_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 22:05:00 +0100 (MET)

On Fri, 12 Mar 1999, Craig A Summerhill wrote:

> I have a question about character set treatment in the hypermail HTML
> markup... The data in the RFC821 From: field contains MIME encoding, and
> is labeled as ISO-8859-1. The thing is the guy's name is Pena (with a
> tilde over the n). When I view the HTML source, or the HTML file, it
> appears that the ntilde has been written directly into the HTML.
>
> The ntilde character isn't ASCII, but I guess it probably is Latin-1.

Yes it is. ISO-8859-1 is Latin-1 so it better be! :-)

> In early versions of HTML (1.0 and 1.1), there were conventions for
> extended characters like this using the &; convention (e.g. &ntilde;).

They're still there and probably still encouraged to use.

> Although it seems to display fine in Netscape 4.05, I wonder whether
> this action is really kosher?

AFAIK it is. If nothing else is stated, Latin-1 can be used.

> Does the "<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML//EN">" DTD defintion
> statement in the HTML affect the browser's expectations in terms of
> character sets?

Don't know.

> What version of HTML does hypermail claim to support? Is the output
> HTML 3.2? HTML 4.0?
To my knowledge there is no 4.0-specific stuff. I'd guess on 3.2.

> Are there some assumptions about character sets here which I should
> know?

>From Hypermail 2a14 something, it is charset aware and tries to set the used
charset in the created HTML file. It is yet left for others to prove if it works or not...

--
             Daniel Stenberg - http://www.fts.frontec.se/~dast