Re: 2a16

From: Craig A Summerhill <craig_at_cni.org_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 15:53:30 -0500 (EST)

> Problem one:
> ------------
>
> Take the following header on a message:
>
> Subject: Re: Dumb Question?
> From: Ashley M. Kirchner (ashley_at_pcraft.com)
> Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 17:34:57 -0700 (MST)
>

> The only link in that header is the 'From:' line where it puts a
> mailto: link as the email address...BUT...it also adds quite a few
> other information that, to my opinion, isn't necessary:
>
> [ NOTE: broken into multiple lines for readability ]
>
> <STRONG>From: </STRONG>Ashley M. Kirchner (<A
> HREF="mailto:ashley_at_pcraft.com?subject=Re:%20Dumb%20Question?&replyto= \
> Pine.LNX.4.10.9903231728520.3602-100000_at_users.pcraft.com"><EM> \
> ashley_at_pcraft.com</EM></A>)<BR>
>
> If it's just a link to the person's email address, there's no need
> for the subject and replyto to be included. Each message already has
> a 'Reply' link, in which this information is, um...somewhat needed,
> well, the subject line is needed, the replyto won't do some people
> any good.

Um... I'm not sure I agree with this objection, at least not in its entirety.

I think the inclusion of the subject and message-id in the URL is a good idea. Where this is particularly useful is where the link is a mailto: reference to a mailing list address. The message going back to the list has the same subject line and a reference which can be used by hypermail to help build threads.

I can see the argument not including the subject and reply-to in the URL of any mailto HREF generated from the body of the message, but I think there is utility in keeping it within a mailto HREF generated from data in the original header of the message (e.g. To: From: or Cc: fields).

--

   Craig A. Summerhill, Systems Coordinator and Program Officer
   Coalition for Networked Information