Re: Hypermail incremental mode

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel.stenberg_at_autodiagnos.se_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 08:43:00 +0200

John Finlay wrote:

> How do multiple hypermail processes coordinate? Wait for archive to become
> unlocked or pass work onto the active process?

It waits for the lock. Passing data to the active process would mean a much more advanced engine.

> For incremental mode this is
> the biggest problem area since the buildup of processes during heavy email
> sessions can bring a server to its knees.

Yes, if the average time between new arrivals is less than the average time hypermail takes to add a mail, you're in major trouble. Although that is nothing we can do anything about, only keep optimizing hypermail to perform faster and better.

> During testing I hit the hypermail
> archive with 100000 messages at 10 messages per second.

Uuuuuh! :*)

> This is how my implementation worked. The cache file would be rebuilt if
it
> didn't exist. The nice thing about a cache file is that the time to add
and
> index each individual message is the same no matter what size the archive
> is.

It is a nice feature indeed. I surely wouldn't mind seeing that system implemented in v2. Would you be interested in adding it for us?

> Opening 10000 or more files for each message is a big performance problem.

Yes. You don't even have to know much about programming to figure that out!

 / Daniel Received on Tue 13 Apr 1999 08:50:18 AM GMT