Re: Time-based archive subdivision

From: Peter C. McCluskey <pcm_at_rahul.net_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 06:40:47 -0700

 Paul.Haldane_at_newcastle.ac.uk (Paul Haldane) writes:
>Preserving links across months is harder (I think) - the real solution
>(and I'd say this was something to work towards in the longer term) would
>be to have a single virtual archive that we can create yearly, monthly,
>weekly views of - possibly all at once - which is most convenient will
>depend on the traffic on the list and the speed of the reader's network
>connection - looking at _long_ index pages can be painful on a slow dialup
>connection.

 If the size of the index files is your main concern, the easiest way to handle that is to add new index files in the existing directory, as I've done in Critmail (yearly and monthly index file options, which I hope I can get into Hypermail before too long).  There are still some performance reasons to want to break up large directories, but I suspect it will be a while before anyone implements a clean way to do that.