Re: mailto mailcommand: 2 bug fixes + 2 proposals

From: Kent Landfield <kent_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 1999 20:21:25 -0600 (CST)

# ======================
# Mailto mail command bug
# =======================
# defaults.h.in:
#
# says:
#
# #define MAILCOMMAND "mailto:$TO?subject=$SUBJECT&replyto=$ID"
#
# should be:
#
# #define MAILCOMMAND "mailto:$TO?Subject=$SUBJECT&In-Reply-To=<$ID>"
#
# The upper case isn't necessary, but it looks much more like headers.
# The < and > around $ID make it look the same as when using other mailers.
# NS seems broken in that it doesn't understand this header.
#
# and more precisely:
#
# #define MAILCOMMAND "mailto:$TO?Subject=$SUBJECT&amp;In-Reply-To=&lt;$ID&gt;"
#
# so that it is valid HTML. Some chars are encoded in the mailcommand
# function, but not so for the '&', '<', and '>' chars. While pending to find
# more time for a better analysis if we should convert those chars too in
# mailcommand, I "hard-coded" them in defaults.h.
#

#

# =========================
# mailto out of Message-Id
# ========================
#
# Hypermail adds special mailtos in the From:, To:, and Cc: headers. Each
# time you can reply to any of the email addresses given in those headers
# with the mailto specifing the subject and other headers.
#
# However, one bug is that this is also happening for the Message-Id header.
# I don't think we want to find out that mr msgid has a big family, each
# one with a different name, and we surely don't want to write them because
# they rarely answer their mail :)
#
# So, I patched hypermail to avoid doing it so in this case.
#
#
# Follow up:
#
# ====================
# New line of commands
# ====================
#
# This is in complement to the mailtos: we're already adding to the headers that
# have email addresses.
#
# We already have this in the table, but not in the non-table format:
# a link for replying to the message, and another one for sending mail to
# the list.
#
# I propose to add a new list item to allow to do so:
#
# [ new message] [ reply to list ] [ reply to author ]
#
# One of my users commentted that otherwise, it's not intuitive to know
# where to click or what the link does.
#
# We already have all the info for doing this, so if people agree (let's say
# 3 YES votes, no NO vote), I'll add it to the base. It's not a big
# modification and won't fragilize anything (point of view from someone who
# knows the code).
#
# What do you think?
#
# -Jose
#

All three sound needed. Commit them.

--
Kent Landfield                        Phone: 1-817-545-2502
Email: kent_at_landfield.com             http://www.landfield.com/