X/HTML standards

From: Tom von Alten <tom_vonalten_at_hp.com_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 13:29:37 -0700

AMK^4 asks:
> As I go through the src right now, and checking for quoted tags,
> is there any rule that says _how_ they should be quoted? i.e.:
> <P ALIGN="center">, <P ALIGN="CENTER">, <p align="CENTER">,
>
> Since I use HomeSite for most of my HTML editing, it tends to
> uppercase all tags, and lowercase all tag options: <P ALIGN="center">
> or <TABLE ALIGN="right">...
>
> Is there any real preference, or is there an actual W3C rule that
> says how they should be done?

http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/ is
  "XHTML 1.0: The Extensible HyperText Markup Language    A Reformulation of HTML 4 in XML 1.0" Recommended as of 26.Jan 2000

More specifically, http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#guidelines lists "guidelines for authors who wish their XHTML documents to render on existing HTML user agents."

That's not quite the same as guidelines for authors who want their HTML to render on XHTML (or XML) user agents is it? I looked for the page that has the short list of what HTML authors should do, but couldn't find it.

This may be of interest, an HTML "cleanup" program:   http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett/tidy/

Sorry to muddy the waters...

_____________ Hewlett-Packard Computer Peripherals Bristol Tom von Alten mailto:Tom_vonAlten_at_boi.hp.com

          This posting is for informational purposes only.
          It is not a statement of the Hewlett-Packard Co.