Re: hypermail schould not overwrite files with mode 0000

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 21:35:09 +0200 (MET DST)

On Sat, 16 Sep 2000, Martin Schulze wrote:

> Each time a mail gets delivered to a special address hypermail is
> issued to add them to the archive of generated HTML files. Assume
> there are files 0001.html up to 0345.html and I issued "chmod 0 0210.html".
> Now assume a new mail is sent to that address and hypermail is issued
> again.
>
> Now what happens is, hypermail tries to write that new file as 0210.html
> instead of 0346.html. Why? Wouldn't it be more expectable that the
> file 0210.html would be ignored and a new file would be created?
> Especially since writing to 0210.html fails?

Because when hypermail is started in incremental mode, it tries to read all the existing HTML-files. It starts with 0000, increments one by one and reads every single file until it fails to open one of those files.

Hypermail treats the failure of opening that file as the end of available files. Thus, the failed number will be free to create a new file on.

This could be circumvented in a few different ways, but this is how it currently works

> Did this explanation shed more light onto the problem?

It did indeed!

--
      Daniel Stenberg - http://daniel.haxx.se - +46-705-44 31 77