[hypermail] Re: hypermail-digest V1 #115

From: Scott Rose <srose_at_direct.ca_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 07:14:15 -0800

> Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 02:46:44 -0800 (PST)
> From: Henry Potter <henrypotter10_at_yahoo.com>
> Subject: [hypermail] Monthly archiving of incoming mails
>
> Hello. I'm not quite sure if this question has been answered but would
> really appreciate your advise.
>
> I have emails coming into my inbox in a unix environment. i am using
> hypermail to convert them into webpages as they come in.
>
> as the mail traffic is quite high i'd like to move the hypermail
> webpages into an archive (perhaps on another server). how can i do this
> without disrupting the hypermail process which is handling the incoming
> mails?

The way I handle this for my archives is by doing thus.

  1. I have a directory named for the list and the time period, which collects the archive. Say it's rotated monthly and the list is called "doggy"; the archive is doggy_0201 for this month and year (Feb 2001).
  2. I have a symlink to that directory called "doggy".
  3. The recipe for creation of the archive directs the archive to be built in "doggy".
  4. Monthly, for this example, cron runs a perl script that changes the symlink from linking to doggy_0201 to, at midnight on March 1 for this example, to doggy_0301.

This is sloppy- I should first create a lock file in the 0201 directory- to keep hypermail from trying to build an archive in the middle of the symlink change- but that's the way I do it. When there are thousands of emails in an archive, hypermail can take quite a while to build an archive, so this isn't entirely unlikely.

I can share the perl script that does the symlink changing if you like, but it's not a great masterpiece of coding that will save you a lot of work.

Sorry if this has already been addressed; I get the digest, which suffers a delay.

People often suggest integrating list rotation into hypermail, but it seems slightly misdirected to me. OTOH, it would be a way to assure that hypermail doesn't encounter a change of venue in the middle of an archiving step. Received on Wed 14 Feb 2001 06:06:30 PM GMT