Re: [hypermail] Monthly archiving of incoming mails

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 00:09:22 +0100 (MET)

On Mon, 19 Feb 2001, Peter C. McCluskey wrote:

> I suspect that a solution that builds on SmartList isn't going to be > quite as easy to install as an ideal solution would be.

For the sake of discussion and comparison, I'll paste my tiny script that I pipe incoming mails into (using procmail to prevent simultaneous accesses).

This works for low-volume lists. Use it at your own risk.

# setup paths to the two binaries I need
hyper=$HOME/bin/hypermail
date=$HOME/bin/gnudate

# directory where the magic takes place in
dir=$HOME/html

# year and month right now

month=`$date +"%Y-%m"`

# get file (mbox) name

file=$dir/mail-$month

# output directory name

outdir=$dir/archive-$month

# pipe input to the file (generated mbox)
cat >> $file

# change to the target directory (where the config and stuff is)
cd $dir

# run hypermail on the newly appended mailbox
$hyper -m $file -d $outdir -c config -l "mailing list" --- stop ---

--
      Daniel Stenberg - http://daniel.haxx.se - +46-705-44 31 77