Re: [hypermail] deleting messages, honoring Expires, X-No-Archive

From: Tom von Alten <alien_at_hpdmlad.boi.hp.com_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 16:57:43 -0600 (MDT)

Peter C. McCluskey wrote:
> If the only reason for deleting messages is that the author doesn't want
> the message made public, then you are probably right. I suspect that a
> common reason for deleting messages is that they are cluttering up the
> index files (spam, or messages that are of only short-term interest).
> Maybe the best solution is to remove all links from other files that
> point to the deleted message, and write it with a "message deleted" in
> place of the body?

It would be very useful to have the ability to cleanly delete messages. Leaving remnant files behind might be a nice option for some people, some times, but I would rather have the default behavior of a "delete" command be to remove a given message and links to it.

Tom von Alten
 My opinion. Received on Tue 03 Apr 2001 02:54:33 AM GMT