[hypermail] Omitting messages in thread view (CVS version)

From: David Eisner <cradle_at_glue.umd.edu_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 17:33:39 -0400 (EDT)

So I figured out why some of my messages were omitted from the thread view (and posted a patch to hypermail-bugs).

Even after this fix, though, 80 messages (of 3195 total) were dropped from the thread view for the particular archive I'm looking at.

Here's what's going on. To determine the "parent" of a message, hypermail examines the In-Reply-To: header. If it's not there, and the subject starts with "Re:", it makes an educated guess about the parent based on the subject, and makes a note of the fact that this was just a guess by setting a "maybereply" flag.

However, the new version of crossindexthread2() (added March 22) ignores these "maybereply" messages (unless the only reply to a message is a maybe). So these messages don't get added to the threadlist, and they don't get printed.

If this is intentional, then I think it would be nice if there were a setting in the hmrc file to tell hypermail either "Don't drop guessed replies", and/or "Don't try to guess in the absence of the In-Reply-To: header." Or something like that.

Just my $0.02.

-David

David Eisner            | E-mail: cradle_at_eng.umd.edu |
CALCE EPSC              | Phone:  301-405-5341       |
University of Maryland  | Fax:    301-314-9269       |