Re: [hypermail] CVS write access?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 07:58:58 +0200 (MET DST)

On Tue, 14 Aug 2001, Jose Kahan wrote:

[I know this wasn't addressed to me, but I can't resist interfering anyway!]

> I also want to see if I find an alternate algorithm for naming files so
> that they don't grow up sequentially. Sometimes when rebuilding an
> archive, if you have deleted or skipped a message, all the URLs change
> and it would be nice to avoid this dependency.

It would indeed be a killer feature.

> My current idea is to use some kind of MD5 hash of the msgid with the
> received date to name the files. Collision risk should be small (I
> hope!).

Would be minimal, but won't the file names get annoyingly long and weirdly named?

> I think I'll also need to store in a dbm file some relationship between
> the filename and the number we were using before, so that we can search
> it easily. This is not yet very clear, because I am just starting work on
> it.

The numbers also serve a purpose when reading an existing HTML archive. Hypermail can easily just read all HTML files, as it knows their names all the way until there are no more files.

> I tried my old hypermail CVS access and not surprisingly it doesn't work
> anymore. I would like to have a write access again as it would simplify
> my work when I have to make a commit (rather than having two parallel
> bases).

Ashley Kirchner runs the CVS, I hope he's around and can set this up for you.

Good to see you around again Jose!

--
      Daniel Stenberg - http://daniel.haxx.se - +46-705-44 31 77