[hypermail] reading old archives

From: Peter C. McCluskey <pcm_at_rahul.net_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 10:23:03 -0700 (PDT)

 jose.kahan_at_w3.org (Jose Kahan) writes:
>I noticed that we read the files in find_max_msgnum(), using a call
>to opendir. Regardless of the feature I want to introduce, this seems
>a bit dangerous, as hypermail assumes that the only thing found in the
>directory are its own messages. Why not? This could always be true. I was

 It doesn't make that broad an assumption. It only assumes that files with at least 4 digits, a ".", and set_htmlsuffix (and no other chars) are its own (with the msgsperfolder option, it also assumes numeric subdirs are its own).

>wondering why we don't try open one of the index files that has a list of
>all the messages and put there the latest message number? Or just count
>them from the file structure.

 There's no guarantee that an index file was ever created. See the avoid_indices option.
 We could probably require one if the gdb file isn't being used, but I doubt that's worth the effort.

Peter McCluskey | Free Dmitry Sklyarov! http://www.freesklyarov.org/ http://www.rahul.net/pcm | Received on Mon 20 Aug 2001 07:26:49 PM GMT