[hypermail] dir option weirdness

From: Arkadiusz Miskiewicz <misiek_at_pld.ORG.PL_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 15:24:02 +0200

Hi,

htmrc manual says:

      dir = directory
              This is the directory that Hypermail will look for when creating
              and updating archives.  If defined as NONE  the  directory  will
              have the same name as the input mailbox.

          Using  date  substitution cookies, you can tell Hypermail to archive
          messages in directories by the date they were received.

          Substitution cookies supported

%d - two digit day of month (1-28/30/31)
%D - three letter day of the week
%m - two digit month of year (1-12)
%M - three letter month of year (Jan, ..., Dec)
%y - four digit year (1990,..2001)
For example, if you wished to have Hypermail archive files by year and month, you might use dir = /lists/somelist/%y/%M When a message was received it would be put into a directory /lists/somelist/1998/Jun (if the message arrived in June of 1998). If the message arrives and there is no storage directory, Hypermail will automatically create it and store the message in the new direc- tory.

,,When a message was received'' - well right now that isn't the case. It should be rather ,,When a message was feeded to hypermail'' - at least for me hypermail doesn't use received field from mbox nor date field and just checks current system date which is bad because it seems that I can't create web archive using quite old mbox archive.

So I have mail from 1998 which is saved into 2002/Apr :-(

Suggestion is to get:
a) hypermail working according to manual b) fix manual

  1. would be better :) -- Arkadiusz Mi¶kiewicz CS at FoE, Wroclaw University of Technology arekm_at_sse.pl AM2-6BONE, 1024/3DB19BBD, arekm(at)ircnet, PLD/Linux