Re: [hypermail] Serious message skipping problem with hypermail

From: kent landfield <kent_at_hypermail.org_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 07:47:51 -0500 (CDT)

Jose Kahan writes:

> On Fri, Jun 06, 2003 at 07:29:02AM -0500, kent landfield wrote:
> > > maybe some people would want it for other reasons.
> >
> > I guess we don't have much choice. My real issue with it is that people
> > who use it will have to forever use it on those archives with 0001 start
> > instead of taking a one time hit and correcting those two-three months of
> > archives. Personally I'll manually correct the archives I manage so I
> > will not have to keep remembering this small special case in the future.
> > I rebuild archives from scratch quite often and this could become a
> > problem as I age and my memory fails... ;)
>
> I completely agree with you and reached the same conclusion that it's
> better to upgrade the mbox, Either it's all 0000 or all 0001 but
> remembering when to do 0000 and when to do 0001 is hard.
>
> For those people who have only been working with 0001 and have not
> rebuilt their archives, the option will be useful. For all the
> others, it's better that we advice them that they need to pad
> their original mboxes or do something else to avoid breaking links
> when rebuilding.
>
> Is it ok if I commit the bug fix in the meantime? And if you want
> the new option, I can code and commit it later today. We still have
> time for discussing this.

Yes, please commit the fix. By all means. As Peter said, maybe there will be a reason for being able to designate the starting point that we are not aware of. I have no problem with the option at this point.

--
Kent Landfield             |  HYPERMAIL: http://www.hypermail.org/
Email: kent_at_hypermail.org  |  RFCS: http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/