Re: [hypermail] file numbering started anew

From: Peter C. McCluskey <pcm_at_rahul.net_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 12:47:50 -0800 (PST)

 towb_at_celvina.de (Tobias Weber) writes:
>Hi,
>this might be a stupid question since everything worked fine for the past
>months and I more or less forgot about hypermail ;-)
>
>But now the mbox is so big that it takes minutes to parse everything and add
>new messages to the archive.
>
>So I cropped the first few MB off the file and ran hypermail again. It
>should not have done anything. What it did was write all messages still in
>the mbox again, but with filenames below 200. There are now almost identical
>3245.html and 0180.html, including the links to messages no longer in the
>mbox, which proves that .hmindex was read.

 I have added a new option mbox_shortened (can anyone think of a better name?) that should handle situations such as this. Here's a preliminary description of what it does:
 Set this to On to enable use of mbox that has had some of its initial messages deleted. Requires usegdbm = 1. The first message in the mbox must have a Message-ID header. The mbox may not be altered in any way other than deleting from beginning of the mbox or appending new messages to the end (unless you rebuild the archive from scratch using a complete mbox).

Peter McCluskey          | "To announce that there must be no criticism of
http://www.rahul.net/pcm | the President, or that we are to stand by the