Re: [hypermail] Problems with 2.1.8

From: Peter C.McCluskey <pcm_at_rahul.net_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 15:07:05 -0800 (PST)

 moseley_at_hank.org (Bill Moseley) writes:
>So, this creates an initial archive
>
> $ rm -rf archive
> $ cat lots-of-message | hypermail -i
>
>So at this point what's the difference between these (not lack of -u):
>
> $ cat new_message | hypermail -i
> $ cat new_message | hypermail -i -x

 If you are doing an incremental update (i.e. have an .hmrc with increment = 1 or increment = -1 and new_message has no old messages), the -x option makes no difference (I guess I ought to add that to the documentation).  If you are not doing an incremental update (i.e. have an .hmrc with increment = 0 and new_message contains lots-of-message plus something new), then if you changed your config file from showhtml = 1 to showhtml = 2 between the lots-of-message command and the new_message command, the -x will cause the entire archive to have the showhtml = 2 format, and avoiding -x will produce and archive with mixed format.

Peter McCluskey          | "To announce that there must be no criticism of
http://www.rahul.net/pcm | the President, or that we are to stand by the