Re: Getting started

From: Guido van Rossum <guido_at_CNRI.Reston.Va.US_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 23:52:22 -0400

> Hypermail needs a real makeover to be able to get to where it should
> be. We are not going to get there over night. In order to make the
> most progress, I propose that we take the following approach. Let's
> get a baseline version and take the modifications made in the past
> and incorporate them into a single version. All those improvements
> in one version will be a real step forward.
>
> At that point we can reevaluate hypermail and see what makes the most
> sense. It may be that we will need to re-implement hypermail from the
> ground up. That decision is a ways down the road. First we need to get
> the low hanging fruit all onto a single tree. Sound reasonable ?

Since you mention the possibility to start from scratch, I thought I ashould mention that there already is an alternative to Hypermail, called Pipermail. It is written in Python by Andrew Kuchling. It has its own web page at

http://starship.skyport.net/crew/amk/maintained/pipermail.html

For an example of what it can do, visit the Python SIG archives at http://www.python.org/pipermail/.

I'm not sure how pipermail compares to hypermail in detail, but I know that Andrew was aware of several hypermail restrictions and coded pipermail to avoid these. Andrew, would you care to comment?

--Guido van Rossum (home page: http://www.python.org/~guido/) Received on Thu 23 Apr 1998 05:54:28 AM GMT