Re: Getting started

From: Kent Landfield <kent_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 10:49:10 -0500 (CDT)

#
# On Wed, 22 Apr 1998, Guido van Rossum wrote:
#
# > I'm not sure how pipermail compares to hypermail in detail, but I know
# > that Andrew was aware of several hypermail restrictions and coded
# > pipermail to avoid these. Andrew, would you care to comment?
#
# To be honest, I haven't tried pipermail specifically, but I have run most
# of the other mail -> html converters out there, and only hypermail had the
# speed needed. archive.redhat.com has 4.5M mailbox files that generate 2500
# messages, and although even hypermail *starts* to choke on them, nothing
# else gets close.

The ONLY reason that I've stayed with hypermail to date is that it is the fastest and impacts the system the least. It is far from perfect but interpretive converters require too much of the system to be able to effectively deal with large, high traffic lists. (This is being said WITHOUT ANY experience with pipermail).

I have no problem with rapid prototyping with an interpreter (and do that often) but the end product needs to be as fast as possible and that points to a 'C' implementation.

--
Kent Landfield                        Phone: 1-817-545-2502
Email: kent_at_landfield.com             http://www.landfield.com/