Re: Hypermail GUI interface

From: Gordon H. Buchan <gordon_at_pobox.com_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 13:08:57 -0500 (EST)

> > In general, I'm against introducing filtering in hypermail. Hypermail
> > converts mailboxes into HTML. Filtering should be done prior to the storage
> > in the mailbox, IMHO.

I agree. Hypermail should stick to its primary mission. Although most people convert mailboxes to hypermail archives in batches (a bad practice, IMO), they also have the option of adding messages cumulatively to an existing archive. That means they can use a rules-based system like procmail or the ELM Filter (my personal favorite) to decide which messages actually get streamed to the archive.

Although well-intentioned, I think this filtering idea is a bit of featuritis that should be directed towards the dustbin.

Gordon H. Buchan
gordon_at_pobox.com
http://gordon.anadas.com Received on Wed 28 Oct 1998 11:16:23 PM GMT