Re: internationalisation

From: Andrew Daviel <andrew_at_daviel.ml.org_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 00:05:27 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 27 Oct 1998, Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> Regarding different charsets in the mails that are converted into HTML.
>
> As RFC2070 describes (1), one way of solving the character encoding issue,
> when it comes to non-iso8859-1 charsets, may be to include a tag like:
>
> <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type"
> CONTENT="text/html; charset=ISO-2022-JP">
>
> "as early as possible within the HEAD of the document"
>
> My question is, to all of you who do use other (non iso8859-1) charsets, how
> do you specify your charsets when YOU design web pages?

That's the one I recommend. It may also appear in theory as a modifier in the HTTP header. This may be used to automatically select the correct charset on e.g. Netscape Navigator.

regards

Andrew Daviel
http://vancouver-webpages.com/andrew
Deniable unless digitally signed. Received on Sat 31 Oct 1998 10:13:33 AM GMT