Re: BUG: Long Subject: headers

From: Daniel Stenberg <Daniel.Stenberg_at_sth.frontec.se_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 12:32:19 +0100 (MET)

On Tue, 10 Nov 1998, J Kinsley wrote:

> I have gotten several replies in reference to the bug dealing with long
> subject lines. The message I had thought was causing the problem was not
> the actual message causing it. It was the message just prior to it in
> the mbox.

Ah, the joys of corrupted memory! :-/

> The actual message causing the problem had a 441 character subject line.
> In my efforts to solve the problem, I had cranked up SUBJSTRLEN to 512.
> However, that did not solve it.

That's odd indeed. It should've.

> I will attach a copy of the message that caused hypermail to hang. The
> subject line became excessively long by my listprocessor writing the
> contents of the list directory into the subject header. I have yet to
> figure out how that happened since this one message is the only one I've
> ever seen that happen to. The message will hang hypermail everytime it
> is piped in. Even with SUBJSTRLEN set to 512.

I hope you will endure just a little more waiting. Since the static to dynamic buffers convertion is taking place at Kent's laboratories, there's little fun in patching and fixing problems with the static buffers of b3. That convertion is likely to change that many things that a fix for b3 will not likely survive into b4.

I'll be happy to try your attached mail with b4 as soon as I have that, and if it fails too, correct that within a few days from release date. You can take that as almost a promise! :-)

--
   Daniel Stenberg    http://www.fts.frontec.se/~dast     0708-317742