Re: languages?

From: Gordon H. Buchan <gordon_at_pobox.com_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 08:14:40 -0500

At 11:31 AM 11/25/98 +0100, you wrote:
> Is there really *anyone* out there who wants hypermail to be able to output
>help and progress texts using different languages? I'm no native english
>speaker myself but I've never even considered setting language with
>hypermail. Hypermail's purpose is to generate HTML files from a mailbox, I
>don't think there's enough reasons to increase the load of maintaining it
>with adding various odd languages.
>
> What do you think?
>
> If you actually do think multiple languages is a good idea, then I'd vote
>for a better language system than what is used today.

Funny you should mention that. I'm translating the strings in print.c right now into French. I was thinking how futile the effort will seem when new source comes out.

I don't think that the command-line stuff needs to be internationalized, but the UI strings (those that say "New Messsage, Sort by Author," etc.) should be segregated in a separate message file.

Incidentally, some of us play with Hypermail "live" instead of chewing through mbox during a cron job. Hypermail can be very responsive as the engine for a real-time discussion board -- just plug it into a rules-based system like the ELM mail filter or procmail.

Gordon H. Buchan
gordon_at_pobox.com
http://gordon.anadas.com Received on Tue 08 Dec 1998 08:20:10 PM GMT