Re: Back on track

From: Randall S. Winchester <rsw_at_Glue.umd.edu_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 13:28:10 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 18 Dec 1998, Kent Landfield wrote:

: We seem to have different ideas as to what you were trying to accomplish
: while I was out. Hypermail is a well used tool that needs a bit more
: stability than rapid prototype development efforts generally have. I
: need to rethink the beta designation I've been placing on releases. It
: has seriously confused people. I'm spending a good deal of time doing
: nothing more than testing different configurations so that I can be
: relatively confident that a new release will not muck up existing archives.
: Nobody needs that...

I fully support this. I have not grabed the recent other betas as they are acnowledged as buggy. I need a stable "hypermail" for my primary services. I also need a working y2k version. Thus I have patiently waited for Kent to return with the version he has been working on.

: I do appreciate the efforts you've made and I am not trivializing them but
: there are more issues here... I'm starting to think we may need to have
: a hypermail-dev mailing list for truly alpha development. That way alpha
: versions that should run under controlled, non-production test environments
: could be passed around without confusing the list at large as to what is
: the most stable version to run in a production environment.

This seems like a very good idea. The other betas have had lots of good work done. I would be glad to try new development betas on services that do not have as much a stability requirement.

Randall Received on Fri 18 Dec 1998 08:33:34 PM GMT