Re: Project Name Change?

From: William F. Maton <wmaton_at_enterprise.ic.gc.ca_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 22:51:58 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 4 Feb 1999, Byron C. Darrah wrote:

> > There are, without a doubt, many "strains" out
> > there that have been modified and/or improved by different people already.
>
> All too true. But anyone that releases such a modified version to the net
> without clearly marking it as such is simply acting irresponsibly. That
> does not mean that we have to do the same.

I think what really needs to be done is to follow the model (loosely) that the INN contributors made: When Rich $alz had less and less time to tend to INN 1.4, Dave Barr and others (if I remember correctly) created a series of UNOFF(icial) patch sets that were evetually folded back into the official distribution, and called INN 1.5. In this way, Rich pretty much maintained the direction development should take, while letting others do the work, who were as like minded in the overall direction of the project.

So, with a trusted core of developers making patches to hypermail and making this available to everyone via CVS for bleeding-edge testing, while also release UNOFF releases, things can move forward again - and that give Kent, if he wishes, to transfer management of the entire project.

> --Byron Darrah

wfms Received on Fri 05 Feb 1999 05:55:43 AM GMT