Re: MIME disable option? (hopefully not FAQ)

From: Craig A Summerhill <craig_at_cni.org_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 16:15:32 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 20 Apr 1999, Ron Brogden <rb_at_islandnet.com> wrote:

> On 4/20/99, Craig A. Summerhill <craig_at_cni.org> wrote:
> >
> > P.S. Along the same vein, isn't hypermail 2.x already substituting an
> > arbitrary name for the attachment when it gets written to disk?
>
> This issue definitely exists in the latest source grabbed via landfield.com
> which I started playing around with this last week. I manually edited a
> mail message (which anyone with even rudimentary knowledge can do) and
> changed the filename in the MIME header. It most definitely did write a
> fresh .htaccess file into the archive directory.

Ron,

I don't most of us consider the code on landfield.com to be current anymore. You should look at th tarballs on:

   http://www.fts.frontec.se/~dast/hypermail/

The distribution for hypermail-2a18 is the latest tarball there. There is also information on a CVS distribution at the URL above if you really want to work with the day to day changes. Personally, I have found the 2a16 version to be stable for my immediate needs. I moved it into production several weeks ago for all my 1998/1999 archives. I am planning on retrospecitively converting older archives after I beta or final version 2 release is out.

> On another note, a fellow posted that the "ignore" certain MIME types
> function did use wild cards. Anyone know the syntax? I tried "*" with
> no luck and the code appeared to be looking for a literal list to compare
> against whatever was stripped from the MIME header in the message.

That fellow was Daniel. The URL above is his site in Sweden. He has been doing the lion's share of the coding (no intention to slight anyone else here, details are on the web site) in order to firm up a solid version 2 of hypermail.

The 2.0b2 version on Kent's landfield site was problematic for a number of people on this list (I couldn't even get it to compile), and Kent just kinda dropped off the face of the planet. So we moved on...

--

   Craig A. Summerhill, Systems Coordinator and Program Officer
   Coalition for Networked Information