Hypermail mail program

From: Tony Earnshaw <tonye_at_ilion.nl_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 17:07:38 +0200

2 questions/observations:

First a couple of details: Hypermail 2a24 on SCO 5.0.5 Unix/Apache 1.3.9. Really pleased with it, compiles easily with egcs 1.1.2 and is easy to configure.

I want to use the accompanying 'mail' program, but there are two things that don't work - and I'm no C programmer:

  1. Answers to mail get sent when the browser is IE 5.0 but are full of strange characters. E.g., instead of newlines, the Icelandic character capital Eth (a capital D with a dash through the upright) is sent. Sometimes an English pound sterling sign is sent instead of a colon, not always. Sometimes a Norwegian capital a-ring (capital A with a ring above it) is sent for no apparent reason. I do use the Nordic characters myself, my default keyboard's Norwegian and my alternative is Icelandic. Windows 95, Norwegian and IE 5.0 Norwegian. Does this have anything to do with it? I doubt it.
  2. No text whatsoever is sent when the browser is Netscape Communicator 4.x - the default fault message 'missing From: header' is seen, no matter what's put in the field.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Searched the mail archives, and there's nothing pertinant there. I'll file a bu report, if that's necessary.

Thanks!

Tony