Re: ANNOUNCE: 2b25

From: Tony Earnshaw <tonye_at_ilion.nl_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 10:54:06 +0200

Don't know whether this is the place for feedback, but:

We're using Hypermail for quite an other purpose than it was intended, but it does about what we want from it.

Up to now 2a24, now compiled 2b25 on SCO Open Server 5.0.5 with egcs 1.1.2. running under Apache 1.3.9.

2b25 works fine on our setup as straight drop-in for 2a24 (haven't even read the new docs yet), but:

  1. The default now is to compile src/mail as standard. This compile needed adding /usr/lib/libsocket.a to MAILOBS in src/Makefile by hand, in order to compile mail (the configure script omits this);
  2. mail is still unusable when used by MS Internet Explorer 5 and Netscape Communicator 4.61. In IE 5.0 it still produces the same rubbish characters in the text and with Communicator it will not even send text.

To send mail, we are reduced to calling a modified version og formmail.cgi (perl) from an html HREF, since I'm no C programmer and don't understand the code in mail.c. This solution is not ideal, since I haven't found any method of transferring the $TO, $FROM or $SUBJECT variables from one html to another.

I've written about this before, but no-one reacted :-(

Tony